Ok, lets think, what’s the instantaneous mental image of a piece of clothing to the ‘Boho’ movement
Does it look anything like this?
Yep, the Boho Skirt which people had an obsession with back in 2005, so it’s now really easy to find at least several of these skirts cast away as the trend died down at Op Shops. I myself own at least five…no it’s not obsession or anything…
Why are they so great?
- Great for Summer – I’m not really a “shorts” girl and so these are such a good, funky. arty looking alternative for summer, keeping me just as cool as any other girl.
- The flow – which means that these skirts look great on anyone – young or old, fat or thin. The material drapes nicely covering the legs and giving a flowing feminine shape which is important for that carefree look.
- Dancing. These skirts were MADE to dance in. Just going around barefoot with an anklet and host of bangles releases the inner gypsy
- COLOURS!!! There are so many styles and colours to choose from! Which means there’s one for every mood. Beading and fringing are usual additions. Thats why you need several, so you can mix and match with everything.
What to put with the skirt to complete the look:
- Tops: You need something a bit plainer because the skirt does all it’s own talking – it needs no adding to! So a plain tank in a complementay colour will do fine. I favour more neutral earthy tones such as browns and oranges and really light pinks to go with mine. Blue can work as well.
- BIG BELT!! Yes, I LOVE these!! You clinch the entire thing together with a big belt, can be as ornate or as plain as you like depending on how busy the rest of the look is getting. Nothing will complete it in such a way as the BIG BELT!
- Scarves – a plain, light summery scarf around the neck or as a soft alternative to the BIG BELT
- Necklace – you dont need anything too fancy, wooden beads work great. Something that looks slightly ethnic like it’s been bought from a market from some Island Country – in fact markets are a great way to pick one of these.
- Bangles – a definitive statement of the boho tradition, what could be more alluring than shininess and jangliness every time you gesture and dance?
- Flip Flops (at risk of sounding American, thongs at risk of sounding Aussie), or sandals any kind, summery and light
Dangly Earrings – a must! These are great and you can have so many styles, have fun with this one
Here’s just a start to the basic Boho look. Of course this is all suggestions, the whole idea is that you do what you like with it. I quote from an excellent article on wikihow:
Boho-chic doesn’t just mean flowy peasant skirts and flip flops, and messenger bags. An important aspect of bohemian style is individuality; this means embracing your own personality and expressing it through your fashion choices. You may not know anyone who actually wears feathery layered skirts, but if you love to, then that’s all that matters. Bohemian style may be described as a trend with certain looks to follow, but it’s really all about following your own inspirations.
IF YOU WANT TO STAY TUNED FOR MOST UPCOMMING ARTICLES ON THE BOHEMIAN STYLE WHY NOT SUBSCRIBE VIA RSS (WHICH CAN BE FOUND ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE PAGE UNDER “TECHNICAL STUFF”